R.K. Mission Blind Boys' Academy, Narendrapur

Genesis

Blind Boys’ Academy is the brain-child of Swami Lokeswaranandaji Maharaj. The Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama, now located at Narendrapur was situated in northern part of Calcutta upto 1956. A blind student named Bhabani Prasad Chanda wrote a letter to the Secretary of the Ashrama Swami Lokeswaranandaji Maharaj in 1952/53 that he had passed Matriculation Examination and wanted to study further. Late revered Maharaj invited the bright young boy to stay at the Ashrama free of cost and study further. Staying in the Ashrama he did the B.A. (Hons.) in History and passed M.A. Examination from the University of Calcutta with good marks. In the meantime the students’ home of the Ashrama located at Pathuriaghata in North Calcutta gradually started shifting to Narendrapur. A few other blind students joined the students’ Home of the Ahrama. Thus just a nucleus of blind students was formed. Revered Lokeswaranandaji Maharaj was eager to utilize the skill and enthusiasm of Sri Chanda. With the sanction of Director of Public Instruction the Blind Boys’ Academy was started in 1957 at Narendrapur (previously known as Ukhila Paikpara) with a handful of students.



© 2012 NARENDRAPUR RAMAKRISHNA MISSION                                                                                              Powered by Technoware